Community Based Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of people with disabilities is one of our major interventions since 2002. We have been working with around 5800 PWDs Persons with Disabilities in the district and built their capacity to address their basic rehabilitation and developmental needs by organizing PWDs into DPOs Disabled Persons' Organizations at village, Taluk and state level. The village and taluk level DPOs are the base organizations to build solidarity among the differently abled and implement various community based rehabilitation activities and development interventions along with the project team and in collaboration with government departments. The state level DPO is an apex body of all taluk level DPOs to take up higher levels of advocacy and to bring policy changes as well as effective implementations of the government schemes. The DPOs are functioning independently with their own source of fundings and administrative capacity. They also gained recognition from various governmental institutions.
One surgery that changed my life
"I am Anjana. I was born with club foots. It was very difficult for me to go to school by walking. Being a member of a poor family there were no other options. Taunting of other children made me always unhappy and due to that I stopped going to school after the 8th standard.
Then one of the animators of VOSARD directed me to a medical camp conducted by them. The doctor advised me to go for surgery. VOSARD made all arrangements for my surgery and therapy.
After surgery I could walk like a normal girl. Again I was supported to join the school and now I am in 10th Standard. Thanks to VOSARD for helping me to lead a normal life."
Environment Enabling Program
Rehabilitation of Children with Disabilities
Adressing Educational and Rehabilitation Needs of Marginalized and Disabled Children
- Awareness creation among persons with disabilities and their families about their rights.
- Change of the community's attitude towards PWDs e.g. the reduction of social stigmata. The community itself has come forward and supports the PWDs with money, kindness and services.
- Social security schemes from Panchayat Raj institutions, health departments and all other governmental/NGO departments are accessible to a maximum number of PWDs.
- DPOs have been formed on SHG, Panchayat and District level to come up to advocate for their rights.
- Panchayat Raj institutions and other government departments invite PWDs into the decision making process.
- Inclusice education increases in the project area.
- Self emplyment among PWDs increases in the area.